Monday 11 July 2011

Book review: Looking for Alaska by John Green



So I have this ridiculously long summer. I finished my GCSEs nearly a month ago now, and the summer seems like it'll never come to an end. Of course I have things planned, but what I really wanted to do was to read. 

I used to read unimaginable amounts before I started Secondary School, but as soon as I hit about 12 BAM - I didn't set foot in the library once. I'm not saying I stopped reading altogether, but I went from ravishing a book a day to maybe one every couple of months.

So seeing as I hope to study English Literature at university, I decided that no time was like the present for reading anything and everything that interested me. Starting with this book, Looking For Alaska.

John Green, as you may or may not know, is an increasingly popular Youtube artist. He makes videos along with his brother, Hank, on the Vlogbrothers channel (check them out, trust me, they're good!).

So, on with the review.
At first glance I expected this book to be just another teenage novel, all airheadedness and easy to digest words. I gave it a go only because I've seen and enjoyed the author's Youtube channel. I was so so unbelievably glad to be proved wrong. The book was so much more than I expected it to be, it was deep and meaningful - yet still connected with teenagers on a level most other fellow teenagers can't even manage (John Green is 33).

The novel was relatively short (one of those books that you really don't want to end), but was so thought provoking in its 221 pages that as soon as I closed the last page I got straight onto Amazon to buy myself a copy (the copy I read was from the library). 

The story revolves around an unconventional relationship between Miles Halter, the protagonist, and Alaska Young. Telling you any more would ruin it, please take my advice and DON'T read any spoilers or the plot of this novel as YOU WILL ruin it for yourself. A main message of the book is to embrace the unknown.

So on that note, embrace the unknown by going straight to buy a copy of this amazing book, you will not regret it!

1 comment:

  1. The blogs you produce incurs the much to my knowledge. The skills that are established strongly on the knowledge are very much indemand. I would like to add that your writings adds knowledge to my skills.
    cheap clothes online

    ReplyDelete